"Winter is an etching. Spring a watercolor. Summer an oil painting. And Autumn a mosaic of them all." ~Stanley Horowitz
I have always had a love affair with fall. It is, to me, the perfect blend of summer and winter. I seem to be at my mental best this time of year. All the leaves with their changing colors remind me that we all have the potential to evolve. Our evolution is not always as natural and deliberate as that of Mother Nature, but entirely possible nonetheless. I drive on autopilot to work most days, but a few weeks ago I looked around and noticed that the greens were now yellow, orange and red and I was just awe-struck. And I started to think about some of the great things I've experienced in the fall...
-It is when I was born
-It is when I first walked onto the campus of Meredith and knew I was home.
-It is when I corralled all my friends together in a church for a 45 minutes ceremony ending in 'I do'.
-It is when I first discovered Asheville and the magical Grove Park Inn.
If you asked me to define fall, though, I would hestiate. Fall is too many fantastic things, but a few favorite made-up metaphors would be...
-Pooh Bear walking with Christopher Robin through the Hundred Acre Woods.
-my version of Walden Pond
-Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown while yellow leaves are scattered all around them
But more than anything, fall is beautiful...




No comments:
Post a Comment