Two of my favorite things are rarely paired together in my life: autumn and the beach. Autumn, to me, is about hearing the leaves crunch under your feet and seeing the trees change colors from green to vibrant red, yellow and orange. But today, at the very end of October, I found myself at the beach. And I realized that as much as I love fall in the mountains, I very much enjoyed listening to the sound of the waves, feeling the breeze in my hair, the sun on my face and the sand on my feet. And those "beachy" things are typically things I've only done in the summer. But the beach really is beautiful anytime of the year.
Walking back to my car, I felt like I had shed a few pounds worth of anxieties on that beach. And it stayed with me most of the ride home. Once there, I started sifting through my quote collection to see what spoke to me and here's what I came up with...
Pain of mind is worse than pain of body.
–Latin Proverb
A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.
–Nietzsche
All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire.
–Aristotle
Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.
–Nietzsche
The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.
–Henry Kissinger
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
–Victor Frankl
It is not fair to ask of others what you are not willing to do yourself.
–Eleanor Roosevelt
There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
–James Thurber
The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't.
–Henry Ward Beecher
Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to the truth, but not its twin.
–Mark Twain
Consider how much more you often suffer from your anger and grief, than from those very things for which you are angry and grieved.
–Marcus Antonius
Never bear more than one trouble at a time. Some people bear three kinds - all they have had, all they have now, and all they expect to have.
–Edward Everett Hale
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.
–Robert Louis Stevenson


No comments:
Post a Comment