Now that my marriage is ending despite my best efforts (and hers second-handedly), Diane is sad for the loss. But she is positive that I am strong enough to carry on and do it well. Two weeks ago I needed a little "umph" so I put on a pair of deep red heels. They always put a little spring in my step. Coincidentally they matched my toenail polish, which ironically came from a pedicure my eventually-to-be ex husband purchased for me on behalf of my son as a Christmas present. Diane noticed my shoes under the table where I sit and liked the color and said she was glad to see I was wearing something lively. She said that I needed more "happy" like those shoes and my matching toenail color. I joked that if happy was available for purchase to let me know and I'd surely go seek it out. She gave me the serious reply that happiness can not be bought. Of course, I knew this and tucked away our conversation.
Fast forward two weeks and she walked up to me today with a small gift in her hands. It was a pair of earrings she had her neighbor custom make for me. She said "these are your happy earrings". She went on to tell me that she had her include red because it looks so good on me. And that she had her include flowers because I am sure to blossom from this experience. She went on to tell me that her neighbor is a good Christian woman who was also now praying for me. I am not emotional by nature, but I almost cried at the gesture. It was such a special thing. I hugged her neck twice and for those of you who know me, you understand the significance. Diane is a special person to me and those people get rewarded sometimes with my awkward hugs.
A few hours later I passed her in the hall and she said "now remember, those flowers indicate you will be blossoming, not wilting." You will be. It wasn't a request. It was a command. Knowing Diane it was a confession before Christ...the kind we are told in the Bible to speak out to God so that by faith and His promises, we can receive what it is we positively confess.
Diane had no way of knowing this, but whenever I wear those earrings, they will make me happy. Joyous because I am blessed with a friend who cares enough to go out of her way for me. Thankful for the tangible reminder that I am special to one person even as it seems I am not so special anymore to another. But also I'll be persistent and eager to blossom...so that I may, in turn, make my friend happy by being the person she has faith I can be!
| my "happy earrings" |
No comments:
Post a Comment